In the year 1885, a group of spiritual minded Christians, under the leadership of the late Reverend Sandy Matthews, met together and organized the Mount Bethel Missionary Baptist Church.
Before the first church was erected, these old pioneers would hold their worship services under a grape arbor to protect them from the sun.
These few people made plans to build the first Mount(Bethel Baptist Church. These members were prayerful, spiritual minded and very courageous. They had faith in God and they believed that with God, all things were possible. They purchased a lot in the Hale's addition, Lot #24, located on the corner of Wichita and Cowan Streets in East Nashville, Tennessee.
As time passed on, they were blessed with more members, and when selecting the name for this church, the name Mount Bethel Missionary Baptist Church was chosen. It was felt that God was pleased with the name, and caused the church to prosper. In selecting the name, no doubt, the members realized that a mountain is an elevated mass of land that in many cases was used to contact God.
It was at Bethel that Jacob rose up early in the morning and took the stone that he slept upon as a pillow, and there he erected a pillar. (Genesis 28:11-22)
God has blessed this church for over a century. We have a great heritage.
Reverend Sandy Matthews served this church for several years, God saw fit to
call him from labor to reward. Among the other ministers who were called to pastor this church were the following:
The Reverend William Brooks was called as pastor and served the church for many years, preaching a sound doctrine and gospel. Men, women, boys and girls were converted and joined the church. On July 3, 1901, Reverend William Brooks and his members completed and dedicated a new brick building.
Reverend William Brooks passed away July 3, 1954, after many years of service.
A son in the Gospel of Reverend Brooks,
Reverend Frank Harison, accepted the
call as pastor on the first Sunday in
February 1955. Wonderful pogresss was
being made when the news came that the
Urban-Renewal Program was claiming our
property. A committee was chosen to
seek a new location and this location
Under the administration of Reverend Harrison, his officers, trustees and members, this lovely edifice was constructed to the glory of God.
We dedicated and occupied this building on June 17, 1962. Reverend Harrison
preached an unadulterated gospel and souls were converted.
In 1975, the church agreed to build our
Fellowship Hall and kitchen and also to
remodel the church and change its lighting system to the new drop lights. In February 1977, this work was completed.
On June 6, 1981, the Lord called Reverend Harrison to rest after twenty-six years of service.
After much prayer, the church called Reverend Donald Jones on July 7, 1982. But God being an all knowing God and all wise God, knew that his stay would only be for a short while, and so it was.
We were again without a leader but we never lost faith. The Lord blessed us for on September 4, 1983, installation services were held for our present pastor, Reverend Benjamin F. Sweat.
We here at Mount Bethel Missionary Baptist Church realize that it was "Christ who guided us down through the century" and allowed us to celebrate our 100th year of existence on September 29, 1985.
Under the Pastorate of Reverend Sweat, who emphasizes "total commitment," the Lord has continued to bless the membership of Mt. Bethel Baptist Church. Progress continues to be made.
Among the many phases of progression are membership growth through the Divine teaching and preaching of our pastor, acquisition of several properties, and dedication of our Learning Center.
© 2013 Mount Bethel Baptist Church, Nashville, TN. All rights reserved.
Powered by: Covenant Lynx Consulting Services, Inc.